In recent years, hydrofoiling has become popular among kitesurfers. Especially intermediate and advanced kitesurfers added foil boards to their equipment.
The main advantage of a foil board is that it allows the kitesurfer to ride in much lighter wind conditions than with a regular kiteboard.
This makes it possible to kitesurf almost all year round, even in locations where the wind is usually too light for regular kiteboarding.
In this article, I will present the best foil board options and talk about the details that will make your selection process easier.
Foil boards come in a variety of shapes, sizes, and designs, so it is important to consider what you need before making a purchase.
For example, some boards are designed for speed while others are designed for stability. It is also important to consider the wind and wave conditions where you will be riding. With all of these factors in mind, I will help you select the best foil board for your needs.
What is a Kite Foil Board?
A kite foil board is a type of kiteboarding board that is designed for use with a foil kite. Foil kites are a newer style of kite that uses a lifting surface to create lift, rather than the traditional method of using the wind to inflate the kite. This allows the foil kite to fly in very light wind conditions, making them ideal for kite foiling.
Kite foil boards are often shorter and wider than traditional kiteboards, and they have special bindings that allow the rider to attach the foil kite directly to the board.
Why Choose a Kite Foil Board?
A kite foil board is the perfect choice for anyone who loves kitesurfing and wants to enjoy a smooth ride in light wind conditions. These boards are designed to provide an upwind surfing experience, making them ideal for anyone who wants to get the most out of their time on the water.
Foils by Riding Style
- Low Aspect Foil: The low aspect ratio foil is designed for riders who want to generate lift at lower speeds. This foil is a great choice for beginners or anyone who wants to ride in lighter wind conditions. The low aspect ratio wing will give you plenty of lift and stability while you are learning to foil.
- Medium Aspect Foil: The Medium Aspect Foil has a slightly longer mast than the entry-level foil, which can sit between 15cm and 70cm depending on the brand and package purchased. This makes it ideal for those looking to improve their foil performance, or for those who simply want a longer board on which to ride. The extra length also means that the Medium Aspect Foil is more stable at high speeds, making it perfect for those who want to go fast!
- High Aspect Foil: The high aspect foil is the foil of choice for racing and performance sailing. These foils are designed to minimize drag and maximize lift, allowing them to reach high speeds. Hydrofoil racing is a relatively new sport, but it has quickly gained popularity due to the excitement and challenges it offers.
- Wave Foiling: Wave foiling is a relatively new riding style that is gaining popularity among kitesurfers. Wave foiling involves riding a surfboard with a foil attached to the bottom, which allows the rider to glide across the water on waves. The sport is said to be a great workout and an adrenaline rush, and many wave foilers say it gives them a feeling of freedom and exhilaration.
Kite Foil Boards: Pros&Cons
There are many great things about foiling, but some of the best are its upwind ability and smooth ride.
When you foil, it feels like you’re flying underwater, and this is especially true in light wind conditions. This makes foiling a great choice for those days when the wind is light but you still want to enjoy a great ride.
- The hydrofoil can be difficult to learn, and it is important to avoid cutting your feet or legs on it.
- It can also be hard to transport, and you will need deeper water.
- The boards and foils can be expensive.
Best Kite Foiling Boards
1. Duotone PACE SLS
Pace SLS is the board to fulfill your need for speed when freeriding, smashing the latest freestyle tricks, or even challenging your friends and race opponents
Pace SLS is the board you need for speed when freeriding, smashing the latest freestyle tricks, or even challenging your friends and race opponents. With its high performance and durable construction, the Pace SLS is built to last and will give you the edge you need to come out on top.
It is made of lightweight materials that allow for speed and agility, while still providing the stability and control needed to perform well. Whether you’re racing against the clock or other riders, these boards will help you stay ahead of the competition.
The rails on Duotone Pace Sls kiteboard are optimized for upwind performance and leaning angles. This makes them perfect for riders who want to go fast and make tight turns.
2.Slingshot Alien Air V5
The all-new Alien Air V5 is designed to make foiling as easy as possible. Featuring a reduced volume construction, the Alien Air V5 is now even easier to water start and progress to more advanced foiling. With its reduced volume and easy-to-use design, the Alien Air V5 is the perfect foil for beginners and experienced riders alike.
The board has been fully optimized for foiling progression, making water starts more manageable and providing more performance at the beginner stage. This makes it the perfect choice for those looking to get into foiling.
3. North Scoop Performance Kite/Tow-Surf Foilboard
The Scoop is a versatile and responsive foil board that is perfect for those looking for an easy-to-ride board with great performance. The concave deck provides smooth transitions and easy steering, while the instant touchdown recovery makes it perfect for those who want to enjoy their time on the water.
The board is designed for riders who want a durable, high-performance foil board that can handle a variety of conditions.
4. F-One Pocket Carbon Custom
The POCKET CARBON CUSTOM is an incredibly responsive and light kite foiling board that is perfect for experienced riders who want to push their boundaries. The board’s excellent responsiveness and light weight make it perfect for riders who want to take their kite foiling to the next level.
The Pocket Carbon Custom is perfect for any freeride session. It will provide incredible performance and is customizable to your personal preferences. You can ride with confidence knowing that this board will give you the best possible experience.
The range includes three sizes: 110×44 cm, 120×46 cm, and 130×47 cm. All sizes are equipped with a full deck pad.
New to kite foiling, you should think carefully about whether your equipment is suitable for you before you buy it. Kite foil boards and kites are not cheap, and if you’re not sure that you’re ready for the challenge of kite foiling, it’s best to wait until you’re certain.
If you have decided that kite foil boarding is suitable for you, you can purchase the best kite foiling board for you based on the information in this article. Be sure to consider the size, weight, and wind conditions of the board before making your purchase. With the right kite foil board, you will be able to enjoy this fun and exhilarating sport to the fullest.